Let’s look at the décor of a living room from a Feng Shui perspective. Colors, furniture, and acccesories constitute a room’s décor. How do you feel looking at the photos below? How do you think you’d feel in the space?
Feng Shui principals illustrate that the décor in a room creates palpable energy. The energy you feel determines whether or not you’ll feel comfortable in the space.
Does this room beckon to you to sit down and relax? Odds are it doesn’t. The colors in the space – black, white and dark brown – correspond to water, metal, and earth energy in Feng Shui. These elements, with the exception of earth, don’t contain much warmth. That’s why you get a cold feeling from the space.
The room lacks assorted textures as well. You’ll notice a lot of smooth surfaces. The room needs balancing by adding varying textures as well as fire and earth colors. Earth colors are yellow, brown, and beige. Fire colors are red, orange, pink and purple. The coral-orange lamps on either side of the couch are the only fire elements in the room.
Here are easy changes that create warmth and coziness in the room.
- Add decorative items on each side table that contain fire energy. I don’t advocate creating clutter but one or two decorative elements on each side can create energy. On one side you could lay three books with colorful covers and a large seashell on top. On the other side you could place a round orange bowl filled with seashells or decorative balls.
- The couches need texture to create coziness. Add two or three decorative pillows on the couch in patterns that have fire colors.
- Place a throw blanket that has coral and other colors in it on the smaller couch.
- The smooth wood floors need a rug to create texture. An area rug creates warmth and grounding. Add a rug in the center of the room with a flowing and colorful pattern consisting of earth and fire colors. Or, add a solid color rug which matches the color of the lamps.
- The green plate is too large for the top of the cabinet and the color doesn’t create visual interest or warmth. Replace it with a smaller plate. A coral and green plate as shown above would be terrific.
- The jar of seashells is too large for that area. Put the shells in a smaller, wider circular glass vase.
- The bundle of wheat is out of proportion on top of the cabinet and lacks energy. Replace it with another accessory – perhaps a pared-down ceramic vase with coral, green, white and black. Place red silk flowers in the vase to instantly create vibrance.
- The windows lack texture. Adding drapery panels in any color or pattern creates texture in the space which creates warmth.
Remember that adding fire colors instantly creates warmth and visual appeal in a room. In order to have a balanced and comfortable room, putting together a variety of textures, shapes, and colors in a space, guided by Feng Shui principles is the key. Have fun!