Feng Shui is about balance and flow in an environment. Balance refers to balancing your environment using furniture, color, lighting, and accessories. Flow means energy flow – allowing energy to flow easily throughout your environment like a gentle waterway. Having too much stuff in your environment or blocking energy flow can make you feel blocked in your life. As a certified Feng Shui consultant, I ensure that my clients follow these basic Feng Shui principles before we do anything else.
1. Your front door is considered the mouth of your home and a focal point. Keep your front door clean and keep the front porch free of clutter. Replace your door mat if it is worn out. Thick door mats with vibrant designs or colors add soul and uplift your energy. Place potted flowers or greenery on each side of the front door to create an inviting feeling.
2. Clear your clutter. It not only gives you an immediate energy boost, but it alleviates stagnation in your life. Anywhere that clutter accumulates over a period of time results in causing you to feel stuck – professionally, emotionally, or financially. Keep your closets organized and discard things that you don’t need or haven’t used in a couple years or more.
3. Allow fresh air to circulate throughout your home when weather permits. Turn on fans occasionally to circulate air. Don’t let air stagnate. The very best Feng Shui tip is simply accomplished by allowing energy to circulate. Open floor plans allow for this easier than compartmentalized plans. Also – dust, sweep, vacuüm, and clean your home regularly.
4. To add balance and warmth to dark rooms use vibrant fire colors in pillows, artwork, area rugs, and accessories. Fire colors are red, gold, orange, and yellow, and will energize your space. Dark areas are perfect areas to put mirrors to reflect light and create energy.
5. Remove all furniture, artwork, or accessories that you don’t love, or at least like a lot. Just because it is a family heirloom, give yourself permission to give it away or “store” it if it doesn’t make you smile!