Your home’s condition and its state of organization often mirrors your state of mind. When I’ve gone through challenging periods in my life or simply a week of the flu, things in my closet find themselves in a clump and everything gets just a bit more cluttered. Temporary messes are simply part of life. However, chronic disorganization and clutter can negatively affect your life.
Disorganization of “stuff” creates disharmony in your life. According to Feng Shui, allowing energy to flow smoothly is vital to feeling balanced and harmonious in your life. When things are disorganized, so is the energy around them.
What comes first, the chicken or the egg? If your closet is clean, then you’re probably in a good frame of mind. But if you’re not feeling so great emotionally, cleaning out your closet will help change your attitude and will lift your energy.
Want to feel better emotionally and psychologically? Here are five “hot-spots” for cleaning out clutter and allowing energy to move in your life :
1. Bedroom closets – if you have a lot of stuff here you’re liable to feel stagnation in your life. Make a commitment to clean out closets and give away items that you haven’t worn in a while. Keep your closet as organized as possible. Not only will more energy flow in your life (in the form of opportunities) but practically speaking you’ll feel more balanced when you walk into your closet.
2. Kitchen Pantry – it can be easy to let things get disorganized in the pantry and to overlook cans that’ve been sitting around for years. Re-organizing your pantry will uplift your spirits. If every time you open the pantry you think “I really need to organize this” then it’s draining your energy. Instead, schedule a block of time and clean it out.
3. Desk Drawers – it’s easy to build clutter here! It may simply be impractical not to have a bit of disorganization here. But if everything is just thrown in the drawer it affects you psychologically, feeling more “out-of-control.” It can help your peace of mind and thought process to have a reasonably organized desk.
4. Refrigerator – I still remember my shock when I opened the refrigerator in the home of a Feng Shui teacher at a conference I attended. She was a well-respected teacher, yet her fridge had a lot of decaying food in it. Definitely not good energy to have in your life. I lost a little confidence in her credibility after that. Clean out your fridge and wipe it off debris for an instant energy boost.
5. Under the bed – having lots of stuff under your bed can interfere with sleeping. If you have clothes or neatly packed items that don’t give off sharp, chaotic energy don’t worry about it. Mirrors and sharp objects are the biggest culprits for causing chaotic sleep patterns. Remove dust bunnies because they’ll cause stagnate energy and you don’t need to absorb that type of energy when you’re sleeping. Cleaning under your bed will keep the energy healthy.